Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2007/11/28

Want to loose weight???

Hi Doc, I want to loose 5kg! I have change my diet! I eat Kellogg’s Special K for breakfast and lunch and I eat dinner as usual! During the day I eat raisons when I’m graving for something sweet (I eat a pack of 250g in 2 to 3 days) and provitas when I'm graving for something salty, will I be able to loose weight?

Dear Nadia
According to the Kellogg Company their diet which uses Special K for 2 meals a day, is supposed to assist with weight loss, so this part of your diet seems adequate. If you eat 250g of raisins in 3 days this means you eat about 80g per day. According to the SA Food Tables the energy content of raisins is 1253 kJ per 100g, thus 80g would add 1000 kJ to your energy intake (i.e about 16% of your daily energy intake when slimming), which is rather excessive. On top of that you are also eating an unspecified quantity of Provitas which are very healthy but also contain 1647 kJ per 100g (weigh how much you eat per day and work out how many extra kJ you are ingesting), so all in all these additional snacks may hamper your weight loss. Rather stick to the prescribed diet and do some aerobic exercise every day then you will lose those 5 kg.

1
Posted by: Nadia | 2007/11/30

Dear Diet Doc, what is my kilojoule intake per day? I'm 25, weigh 57kg and my length is 1.64!

Thanking you

Nadia

Reply to Nadia