Question
Posted by: SUICIDAL | 2007/07/31

WANT TO KILL MYSELF

Hi CS

I am down and out. I am single and have debts about R100 000.
I cannot seem to come out of it and want to end my life. I cant get any loans as my credit rating is really bad.I have borrowed money from friends which i now cant repay. I am so indebted i just cant function.

Call Lifeline in the first place, to work on these problems. Excellent advice all round on debt --- see a debt counsellor, speak with your bank, make plans and arrangements --- NO creditor would want you to get so desperate, and they'd rather get some of their money back when this is possible, thsan none of it back ever.
And meanwhile, take every job you can get in whatever time you have, so as to earn SOMETHING towards improving your finances. Can you stay with family or friends to reduce costs ? And of course cut out ALL inessential spending. You can sort this out

3
Posted by: aNNa | 2007/07/31

I agree with Amazed - by law, under the new Credit Act, you have a legal right to Debt Counselling and if you enquire and do this, it will change your life for the better.

Go online and do an SA search for debt counsellors - if you follow their advice and get some legal help, you can get out of this debt and actually begin to SAVE money in a few years.

Reply to aNNa
Posted by: Amazed | 2007/07/31

Everyone has problems and I wont pretend to know financial hardship but in the end it is definitely not worth while taking your life and please do not listen to Paty and run away. I ran away from my problems for 15 years but eventually they caught up with me. If you have a job, find a adminastrator who represents you and your situation in court. A garnishing order will be issued and the institutions you owe money to will have to accept what is offered. They cannot decline or bother you once you have been garnished. Life seems dark right now but remember this is a temprorary problem - suicide is permanent. Good luck and I'll pray you get out of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Amazed
Posted by: Paty | 2007/07/31

Hi SUICIDAL
I don't know what to say. I don't know how much that amount is or how old you are. I'm just a young girl and I believe people will sooner or later find happiness in their lives. However, I think of suicide quite often and have a paper knife that I bought years ago in order to kill myself. Well... having it here makes me think "I can do it later" and I'll probably never kill myself.
You need to know that problems come and go. Even the biggest problems. You shouldn't ask anyone for money. Do you have a job? You might one day be able to pay your debt. If not, then why don't you leave the country? If you kill yourself, you won't pay for the debt. So leaving the country will be just the same for the people you borrowed money from and it may help you find happiness again. But remember never to borrow money again. I would never do that. Last weekend I was offered to go and help a woman clean a disco and I did go. There are always things (however hard they might be) you can do to earn some money.
Please, think twice before you do anything. Relax, worrying won't help, it will only drive you insane. Then think of a solution or run away. Being single is an advantage right now. You can leave and find someone somewhere else and live a happy life. Don't give up.

Reply to Paty