Question
Posted by: Trace | 2004/11/08

Want to have a baby soon

Hi there,
My husband and I are thinking of conceiving in December. I am currently on the pill and would like to know when I should go off it. Should I wait until the end of my period? My period starts tomorrow. I also heard that I should have a shot against german measles? Is this true?

Trace

Stop when you get to the placebo pills in the packet.
Rubella vaccination is useful as it can cause serious problems if you contract rubella while you are pregnant. You will then have to wait three months before falling pregnant. You could have a blood test first to check whether or not you are immune.

3
Posted by: Michelle | 2004/11/08

We tried for a year without anything happening. I went to my gynae who did a few tests and informed me that I must have the german measel vaccine before even trying to concieve further. I was so dissapointed because I have been trying for a year and now I must wait 3 months more. I would suggest to find out whether you had the vaccine before trying to conceive. Leave the pil now because sometimes it can take long for it to work out of your system.

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: Tilli | 2004/11/08

Hi Trace
You need to check wether you have the german-measel vaccine - a blood test will let you know. If you have not had a the vacinnation they will do one and you will have to wait 3 months before conceiving. I agree with Pokkel - best stop taking pill now and use alternative methods to allow your hormone levels to get back to normal - might as well start off in the best way possible - since you are planning it!!
Good Luck

Reply to Tilli
Posted by: Pokkel | 2004/11/08

If your period starts tomorrow you can stop taking the pill.
The pill takes a while to work out of your system completely and it takes your body about 3 months to regulate itself - ovulating and having a period.
You have a 20% chance of conceiving every month, and it can take a normal healthy couple a year to conceive.
So it might not happen immediately for you.

Reply to Pokkel