Question
Posted by: Craig | 2004/10/18

Want to gain weight and keep it preferrably

I am 24 years old and have been trying to gain some sustained mass for years now. I obviously took up weight training and have been training 3-5 times a week for just over 2 years now. I would have 2 additional meals a day consisting of a protein and carbohydrate shake. I managed to pick up 12kg's of muscle during this period but seem to have hit a serious plateau and I can't seem to pick up any weight lately. Could something be lacking from my diet? I have never seen a nutrionist or dietician for advise before. Any weight gaining tips welcom otherwise I will just keep perusing through all the supplement options...

Dear Craig
I can't really judge as you don't list your present weight in kg and height in m. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements. You can also contact a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area) who will be able to assess your present diet and make recommendations about changes.