Question
Posted by: Thin | 2007/04/16

Want to gain weight

Hello I’m am 24 years old and weigh 35kg, but I am PERFECTLY healthy. I have a good appetite but no matter how much I eat I do not pick up weight. People have told me I should eat McDonalds everyday or chiprolls for breakfast and this will help me gain weight. However these options and many others that people have told me to use seem Very unhealthy. Can u please advise me which foods I should eat or what else I can do in order to gain some weight?
Thank you very much.

Dear Thin
I would also not recommend that you eat high-fat fast foods to achieve weight gain. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.

1
Posted by: bolke | 2007/04/17

I want to gain weight, but i dont know how?
Can you please let me know what i should do?

Reply to bolke