Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2007/11/27

Want to change division

I have been with my company for 7 months working as a girl friday.though before then i used to work for a small comapany doing everything.so now the job that i used to do is being done by a lot of people since is a big company.now one of our branches have position available that i'm sure will fit in perfectly.my problem is i feel like i will be disappointing my boss she is a good person,or maybe that branch will think something like "how can a girl friday apply for position in sales? i'm worried though i'm really looking for something different.since i accepted my position just to gain entrance into big company not that i really like what i'm doing. how can i do this without hurting anyone.

Not in my area of expertise, but I'm sure other readers will have some useful advice

3
Posted by: anon | 2007/11/27

I Agree with what Maria and - I I I - said, but perhaps I am missing something here -I I I- I reread Nicky's post and nowhere did I read that she is working on a temporary basis. I understand Nicky you are working for the company permanently but want to apply for a position in Sales.....see it as a promotion of sorts, trying something else. Doing the same thing over and over can get monotonous...so follow your heart. If you are a people person you will enjoy Sales, marketing and perhaps there is scope for extra earning possibilities in the form of commission and reaching targets in Sales.....Enjoy!! and GOOD LUCK!!! LEt us know what happens.

Reply to anon
Posted by: -|||- | 2007/11/27

Your boss may be a very nice person, but I can assure you her annual bonus ranks far preferent to your needs. You seem to have just entered the job market. Something you can at this stage of your career take at heart is that if you don't look after your own interests nobody else will. If you feel that you are suited for the vacancy, apply for it. Just don't go about it in in a 'backstabbing' way. Go to your boss, tell her that you've seen the position was advertised and ask her if she forms part of the loop (i.e should your application pass her desk) or can you apply straight for the position. Don't let her take you on a guilt trip because you want to apply. Simply say that you think a permanent job will suit you better. Find out what the new job entails so that you know if it will really suit you better. Do not be convinced not to apply for the new position with all kinds of promises that your current position 'will soon become permanent'. In big companies the procedures to get a temp position to be permanent may take ages. A process your boss may have no control over. Go girl !!!!

Reply to -|||-
Posted by: Maria | 2007/11/27

If your boss is really concerned for your welfare she will realise that this is a golden opportunity for you. And who cares what the branch thinks of your current position? If you have the experience to do the job then go for it.

Reply to Maria