Question
Posted by: amanda | 2005/01/05

want my last baby

Hello doc
Happy new year to you and all of the best for 2005, hope you had a wonderfull x-mas and new year.

My question is: Doc I want to have my last baby, (my gynie said he will sterilize me after this one), but the problem is I picked up a lot of weight with my 16 month old and are struggeling to lose it, because I was diagnosed with a overactive thyriod whe I found out I am pregnant. Now because I am overweight I can't seem to fall pregnant, I have been trying for 4 months now and are not using any contraceptives at all.
Do you think it is because I am overweight?
Can you give me some advice what I can do or use in order to fall pregnant for the last time, I do not want to wait very long again because my two daughters is 8 years apart.
Is the thyriod maybe interfering?
Thanks again for a wonderfull website and thank you for always answering our questions.
Keep well
Amanda

It depends how overweight you are. The easy solution, of course, would be to lose some weight. Four months is a relatively short time to be trying though. It could take to a year before you conceive and this would be quite normal. If you are on treatment for the thyroid and your levels are normal, this should not interfere with conception.

1
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/01/05

Hi amanda
Do you not mean an underactive thyroid? Either way, there are medication to help with this.
I am diagnosed with and underactive thyroid and I'm using diotroxin. Please remember to use your medication religiously when you do fall pregnant and also obviously before hand as I had a miscarriage at 11 wks that was believed to be caused by my thyroid and me not taking my medication when required.
I had a successful pregnancy thereafter using diotroxin, so this should not be a problem. I am also overweight and struggling to loose it now.
Speak to your gynae and rather be informed of what the problem of not falling pregnant might be - maybe it is your weight but it could also be something completely different and treatable.

Wishing you all the best and keep your faith, I am sure you will fall pregant!

Good luck!

Reply to Kippie