Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/05

want a baby

i ' m trying for a baby, for the past 3months my period were absent but had had terrible pain on my left and urinating frequently. He said i have kidney infection and have hormone inbalances, he prescribed postoval tab, amoclan bid tab and meprogestic tab. i was sad when he told me that i' m not preagnant, so wha i want to know is that will the pill prescribed help me conceive or can i perhaps get something over the counter which might help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Anonymous

The tablets prescribed are not sufficient to enhance ovulation or correct hormonal imbalance specifically. In fact the Meprogesic may, if used in high enough doses inhibit ovulation by virtue of its non-steroidal function and this may in turn act as a fertility inhibitor. It would be important to establish the underlying hormonal imbalance and to correct ovulatory dysfunction by means of ovulation induction agents either in the tablet form (Clomid, Fertomid, Serophene, etc) or in selected cases through injectable ovulation induction agents. These substances should be prescribed and monitored by a gynaecologist or fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.