Question
Posted by: mbali | 2007/03/20

want a baby

Im HIV posistive and want to have a baby with my partner and im scared to tell him that i want to have a baby, he knows about my status. Two years back o had an abortion will this affect my plans and im diabetic what are my chances of concieving.

Dear Mbali

If the abortion has not caused any damage to the pelvic organs, your chances of conception should be good. I suggest good diabetic control, preconception counselling and if your partner is HIV negative, to go for Intra-uterine insemination (IUI), to prevent transmission. In addition your CD4 count must be high and viral load <100.