Question
Posted by: Candy | 2005/12/14

Want a baby

Hi there,i hope this is not too much of a stupid question. I am 32 years old and stopped the pill some 4 months ago or so. I was on Triphasel. I just finished my period last night, however me and my hubby wants a baby and we trying so hard but nothing. I have been on the pill for 11 years however, coz my daughter just turned 11 last week. My question is when will it happen, i know it takes some time for the pill to work out of the body, but how may days after your period is the best time to try????

Dear Candy

I do apologise for the late response.

Following prolong use of oral contraception, fertility is restored on average within two cyles and therefore you should be able to conceive readily provided there are no other associated factors.
If you have a regular 28 day cycle, then ovulation is more likely to occur between day 12 and day 16, more precisely day 14 of the menstrual cycle.
A more accurate measurement of ovulation would be to use the urinary ovulation testing kits such as CLEARPLAN.

It may take healthy couples up to one year to conceive, and approximately 70% of couples would have conceived after 9 months, and therefore I suggest you do not become too anxious at this stage, but continue trying!
Good Luck!!