Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2004/11/04

Want 2 get a tatoo but mum says "No"

Hi; my mum & i have been debating this 4 quiet some time now.I want 2 have a tatoo done but she will not allow me 2 have one.Most of my friends are having tatoos 7 i also love them.So i have decided 2 have one done this weekend without telling her...What do you think???Im going 2 have it done on my inner thigh...a butterfly tatoo,the tatoo is quiet small so she won't even know????

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Nicole,

whilst this is something you really want you have to ask yourself whether it will be worth the hassle of going against your parents wishes. Depending on your age you will also require a letter of consent from your parentsbefore they will go ahead and do the tattoo. Some places insist on the parent being there in person to sign the form.

If its something you really want it may be worth trying to speak to your mum about it again to see if things can be 're-negotiated'

Your mum will find out eventually, and if you have any complications afterwards such as an infection then its better for you that your parents are aware.

Ultimately you have to make this decision, but think carefully first - once you have a tattoo its there for life. Tattoo removals often leave scarring.

3
Posted by: Laine | 2005/10/21

I have been wanting to get a tattoo for the last couple of years but my hubby says he will divorce me if I do get one. Does anyone know where I can get a really cool authentic looking temporary tattoo just to show him how cool it is. And just to let you know I would never stop my daughter or son from getting one when they come of age, but it has to be something tasteful and have a special meaning for them.

Reply to Laine
Posted by: Jamie | 2004/11/06

Rosy shutup!i say do it!It's your body and yeah it's true you may regret it but if you care enough about getting it you'll have to make the sacrifice of having a satisfied 'older' body (which will be wrinkly anyway.lol).Tattoos can be really personal things.I am only 17 and my mum has said no but i have had a tattoo of my dad's nick name and years of his life at the bottom of my neck because he died wen i was young.these r our decisions!go for it girl if its wot u want.x

Reply to Jamie
Posted by: Rosey | 2004/11/05

My advice: DONT DO IT!

think about, it may be the latest craze right now but 50 years down the line will u still want it? are u prepared to grow old and wrinkly with a tattoo on your thigh???

Tattoos are permanent and very painful. You also run the risk of infection and HIV if the needles are not sterile or if you dont look after it properly. Write down the pros and cons of getting a tattoo before you actually do it. and think very carefully about why you want a tattoo, is it becoz your friends are doing it or becoz you truly want it?

You should definitely buy this months issue of Wicked Magazine and judge for yourself or, alternatively, get a temporary tattoo. and dont think you can hide the tattoo from your mom forever!

Reply to Rosey