Question
Posted by: LYNDZ | 2007/04/23

WANDERING KITTEN

HI, I KNOW CATS ARE GOING TO WANDER BUT HE'S ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD! HE GOES OUT IN OUR BACK YARD BUT LAST NIGHT HE KEPT CLIMBING UP THE WALL. WE KEPT FETCHING HIM DOWN AGAIN BUT HE MANAGED TO GET OVER IT WHEN WE WERE EATING AND ENDED UP AT OUR NEIGHBOURS, WHO POLITELY RETURNED HIM TO US. ONCE THERE HE CANT GET BACK BY HIMSELF. I DONT WANT TO KEEP HIM INSIDE ALL THE TIME, BUT DID CLOSE HIM IN THE HOUSE TODAY - I DREAD TO SEE WHAT HE'S BEEN UP TO TODAY! IS THERE SOMETING I CAN DO TO TRY STOPPING HIM FROM CLIMBING OVER AGAIN? OUR NEIGHBOURS ARE ALSO AT WORK DURING THE DAY AND I WORRY THAT HE WONT BE ABLE TO COME BACK IF HE CLIMBS OVER.

Short of keeping him in there is not a lot that will stop him going walk about. Some have installed electric fences in an attempt to keep cats in only to find that they will climb a tree adjacent to the fence to jump over. You could ask your neighbours to splash him with water when he gets on the wall as that might put him off.

4
Posted by: Kate | 2007/04/24

I have 6 cats and we all go through this problem.
I also kept mine locked up until they were sterilized at 6 months and then allowed them out on supervised trips but kept locked up at night until about 8 months.
But cats a curious by nature.
If I work at night I give a midnight snack so that I can do a head count before I go to bed LOL

Get a couple of empty cardboard boxes that he can play in during the day or get/build a kitty gym for him to keep him occupied during the day.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/23

They can be little buggers .. I confine my kitties until they are snipped then they are fine ....

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Lyndz | 2007/04/23

Thanks for understanding Natasha, it would kill me if I had to come home & find that! We stay in a complex so I know the Body Corporate wont let us build a cattery, we'll see if he stops wandering once he's neutered, which will be in August.

Reply to Lyndz
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/04/23

Hello
I know your plight !! I have had many kittens who did the same thing. I went many nights without sleep until they came home, until the day I came home to find one of my kittens run over bu a car. It was the worst day of my life!! Since then I have kept all kittens indoors. They have adapted so well, and with lots of toys, they are happy to stay away from my furniture. I don't even have problems with scratching on my funiture, and I live in a timber house !!!!
I am currently building a cattery outside one of the windows of my house, and am planting a cat friendly garden in it for them. I have had many people telling me that it is cruel to keep them indoors, but I don't care what they say !! I think it is cruel to let the kitties be faced with all the outdoor dangers everyday !!
Sorry, but I don't have any advise to help your kitty stop roaming. Just wanted to say that I know they worry that you are going thru !!
Good luck. Hope he stops exploring soon !!

Reply to Natasha