Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2005/11/30

walk/run at 50

Thank you for your interesting web-service.

Last week I took out the book "Lore of Running" for my son, but then saw a 25-week walk/run programme for beginners. I'm 50 years old, about 20 kg overweight, and have been treadmill walking for a couple of weeks now, every second day, and feel I can manage a 20-minute fast walk quite OK. With my age, my weight, and my level of fitness, would I be able to do this 25 week/10 km programme? I would like to do a structured programme, and this one looks challenging and interesting. I have never run or jog as an adult for exercise. Because I foster a little baby, I can only exercise on the treadmill at home.

Hi Hannah

Absolutely, I think that this programme will be perfect for you. In fact, because you are already at a level of fitness allowing you to walk 20 minutes, you will probably find that you are a step ahead of the programme to begin with, so you should be able to build up to 10 km without too much trouble at all. 25 weeks is a long time in exercise, you can achieve a lot, and obviously the key is to build up slowly to avoid injury, which is why the programme is built up over such a long period. But it's a good one to start with and I really hope that you find it interesting and successful.

good luck