Question
Posted by: daisy | 2004/11/22

walking during pregnancy

hi doc
i am 15 weeks pregnant and want to know if it is alright if i walk the truworths womens race this sunday.it is going to be 10KM
but i'm going to walk it to a very slow pace.is it good for me and my baby or must i cancel everything?please answer as soon as possible

HI Daisy

I believe it is fine, though remember it is vital that you check with a doctor. I am not at all familiar with your pregnancy (I'm not a gynaecologist in the first place), and so it's super important that you get clearance from a doctor. Exercise during pregnancy is certainly beneficial though, and I recommend to most women. The most important things are to be controlled and moderate though, and so I'm glad that you are planning and easy pace. The other very important thing is how fit and active you were before pregnancy - if you were very active and fit, then going out and walking 10 km is not too bad, and many women continute doing moderately hard training right through their pregnancies. However, if you have not been exercising, and suddenly on an impulse decide to run or walk 10km, then the risk goes up. So only you know what you are capable of. I believe it should be OK, with the very very important proviso that you ask your doctor first, and then take it very easy. The race begins fairly early too, so with any luck, it won't get boiling hot until after you finish (heat is a big no-no when exercising during pregnancy).