Question
Posted by: Lesy12 | 2007/06/18

Walking away

Hi Doc,
I have been in relationship for 7years, even have kids with the man. I am now starting to realise that he is no longer my friend we have nothing to talk about each time we meet. The sex is dull as well. I am starting to enjoy my friends' company than his, he has terrible mood swings. He behaves like he doesn't care, do you think its my que to walk away? I have tried talking but it doesn't seem to work. Is it worth seeking professional help?

IS this how it has always been ( eg, you never had much to talk about, but its only now started troubling you ) ? Or is this a recent change --- in which case the question becomes what else has changed that could be associated with this deterioration in the relationship ? Is it related to his mood swings, and should he perhaps see a shrink for assessment, as some types of mood swings can be helped by treatment ? If he is willing to participate sincerely, relationship counselling would be worth trying, before deciding whether there is no hope of improvement