Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/25

Walking

Thanks again for your comments.

I enjoy very much going to my Walk for Life sessions. It seems that they use the data to monitor your progress and watch for times when they think you are battling. I was wondering if I should ask them to keep me on the same time for more sessions before putting me up, i.e. 3/4 sessions and not only 2 or should I leave that to them to decide? You have to enter your time and distances in your log book for each session and hand them in to the manager at the end of each month.

Thanks again.

Hi Anxious

I think you can probably go up in duration, but bear in mind that you might walk slower. ANd there's nothing wrong with that, as I've said. It's really important to avoid getting caught up in a numbers game. for example, if you walk for 20 minutes and do 1.5 km (a pace of 13 minutes per km), is that better or worse than walking for 12.5 minutes and doing 1.1 km (a pace of 11 min per km)? And the answer is that it doesn't really matter, provided you are doing the walk and feel SIMILAR at the finish. obviously, if you are dead tired at the end of your current walk, and even if you slowed down, you'd still be tired, then it makes sense to keep the distances as it is. However, if you finish your 12.5 km feeling not too bad, and you had the option of wlaking longer, then you might end up walking a bit slower, but you still do more walking! Make sense?

So I'd say go up, but if you feel that the duration is too long, then stick with where you are. But duration is the only one you need to worry about - not the speed or the distance.