Question
Posted by: Klap n Toon | 2007/05/18

Walking

Hi I'm a 45 year old male and try and walk at least 4 times a week for a hour at a time , and cover about 6 kilos on these walks.

My question is , after my walk I found that my hands and fingers are swollen .Is this normal .I'm on cronic Blood pressure tablets.

It's not unusual, and it happens because during exercise, the body has to redistribute that blood to the muscles and it therefore causes changes in the circulation that can cause hands and feet to swell. But it's certaintly not a major problem, unless it was a symptom of something else. And that's something that I can't guarantee. I would suspect that if it was anything more than this, you would also be feeling some sort of chest pain or excessive difficulty in breathing, but you are not, so that suggests it's nothing. If it does get worse, however, then I would see to it, and of course, you should constantly be monitoring your blood pressure. Exercise will be helping that though, and so don't stop walking or exercising, just keep an eye on it and I'm sure it will be fine.

Ross