Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/06

Walking

I'm a 30-year old female, 1.80m tall, weighs about 73-75 kg (I get different figures on different scales!). I can't afford a gym at this stage, but I've just started walking in the mornings, for about 15 min. Monday - Friday. Is that enough to get me to lose a bit of weight? I just want to weigh 70kg again! Combined with eating healthy of course.

Hi Lee

You would be better off if you could, over the course of the next few weeks, increase this duration to at least 30 minutes. That's not to say that 15 minutes is a waste of time, because it's not, and you should definitely do this, but your goal over the next few months should be to get this up to 30 minutes. That will start to make more of a difference. Also, as you get fitter, considering running and walking in the same sessions - maybe a 2 minute walk, 2 minute run, repeated 7 or 8 times. That helps because the faster you go, the more energy you burn, which is key. But in your specific case, the diet is absolutely vital, because you don't have weight to lose. Your BMI is already in thenormal range, and so while you may be able to lose weight, you won't lose it quickly or in large amounts. And that means that every little bit counts and so diet is absolutely vital if you want to succeed.

1
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/07

Thank you!

Reply to Lee