Question
Posted by: Linz | 2005/07/27

Waist Line Not Shrinking

Hi there, I am a 33 yo female.
I have lost 9 kg over the last 9 months and my muscle tone is really looking good except for my waist area inline with my belly button. I just can't seem to get rid of the fat deposit on my waist. If my hips and legs get any thinner before my waist does I am not going to have any clothes to wear. Any suggestions on what exercies to follow.
Linz

HI Linz

Firstly, congratulations on what you have achieved so far, to have lost this weight in so short a time, and to have done it, ostensibly, using exercise, is great going!

Now, your current problem is very very common, and if you just look at the forum you will see many people with the same problem. Unfortunately, the answer is not so simple, because you are fighting against genetics.

It is hard to make suggestions, because I don't know what you are currently doing, but my advice is to continue with the same exercise programme, because you are obviously on the right track, but perhaps increase the intensity slightly, not too much, but enough that you are feeling a little more effort during training. THis is often what it takes. Then, also look at your diet, because that is a critical factor. Finally, I would assume that you are doing some weight training, and here, things like crunches and situps will help, though your focus should remain the cardio.

I think that you are on the right track, you just need to give it more time and perhaps make very subtle changes to the intensity.