Question
Posted by: Megan | 2004/03/11

Vomiting non stop

Im 10 weeks pregnant and ive just been through hell. Im vomiting alot and last time ended up in hospital because I was dehydrated. Now my worry is when I take pregnavit and folic acid it becomes worse, than I would be very nauseated the whole day. The other thing, I cannot sleep at night. I would wake up at two in the morning and I woud not be able to sleep again. My last worry is when I sleep on my side I dont fall asleep and very comfortable when I sleep on my back. Ive heard that it is not healthy for the baby. I dont eat much and very worried. Everything I eat seems not to go with the flow. Im just hoping and praying that I should pass 12 weeks maybe it will be better than. Ladies please advice.

You are right that things often improve after 12 weeks. You can stop the Pregnavit till you feel better. Try to continue taking the folate though. If you miss it for two weeks though, it is okay.
You can sleep on your back until about 20 weeks. In terms of not being able to sleep, try a milky drink at night and do something relaxing just before you go to sleep.

3
Posted by: Norma | 2004/03/12

I really feel sorry for you, I was one of the lucky one's no morning sickness.....
I know Bee was also very sick up to about 19weeks, maybe she can tell you what to eat and what not. Hope she reads this...
I read that sleeping on you back is only harmfull from 16weeks, it's cuts the blood supply to the baby (I might be wrong)
Maybe you should take your vit at night before you go to sleep. My friend told me that she got very sick from the vit and she took them at night, so I'm very scared of being sick, and start taking them at night anyway. Maybe ask your doc to give your a diff vit, maybe that could help.

Good luck girl, just remember at the end it's all worth it.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Yolande | 2004/03/12

Hi Megan

I am now about 21 weeks pregnant. For the first 12 weeks I was also naeaus all the time and could not keep much down. I told my doctor this and he prescribed Vomifeme. It is perfectly safe in pregnancy and helps a lot. You take one in the morning and one at night. I was then able to keep down some food. Try also eating smaller portions of very bland food and ensure that you are taking your vitamins after eating. I found this helps. Energade or Poerade will keep you hydrated and give you some of what you lost back again.

Hope for your sake that this goes away over night like mine did at about 12 weeks.

About the sleeping on your back. I have read that it is safe to sleep on your back until about 20 weeks. At that stage you should try sleeping on your side using pillows to support you if necessary. I have also read that even though you may roll onto your back during the night, do not stress too much as you do not stay in one position long enough for it to do any harm. (This is if you are likely to roll onto your back during the night in your sleep - try not to go to sleep on your back)

Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy every minute of it.

Reply to Yolande
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/12

Hey Megan
I can really sympathise with you, I'm also ten weeks pregnant and have permanent naseau but at least I don't get sick all the time so can't imagine what your're going through. A friend of mine was very ill just like you when she was pregnant and was taking something called Vomacine, I think thats the name and how you spell it. Its apparently safe in pregnancy and helps with the naseau. Why don't you go to your pharmacist or doctor and see if they can't give you anything. You could also try drinking powerade to help give you more energy and so you don't dehydrate again. Sleeping on your back is fine until you get bigger and then its better to sleep on your side, I think this is from around 4 or 5 months, maybe one of the other ladies will know for sure when you have to switch to your side permanently. As for the vitamins, its normally the iron in the pregnavit that causes the naseau so you could try individual supplements and exclude iron until its really necessary, so just take the folic acid for instance and ask your doc if there is any other vitamin that you should be taking at the moment but I know alot of ladies only take folic acid until they are about 12 / 13 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

Reply to Wendy