Question
Posted by: Cas | 2003/12/03

Vomiting Cats

I have 2 cats of about 3 years old. Every now and then the vomit their food up after eating. It seems as though the food hardly is digested before the throw it up again. I feed them Royal Canine Fit 24, but have tried changing their food but it doesn't help the vomiting. It is very frustrating as although it doesn't seem to affect them at all, I am always having to clean up cat vomit. Please could you let me know what this could be and if there is anything I can do to stop it. They are fit and beautiful cats, and this doesn't seem to affect their health at all.

Please help, I am sick of it!!

There is no easy answer here. Cats may vomit for many different reasons. Hairballs, stomach inflammation, worms, dietary iontolearnce, stress, etc. Therefor, there is no single answer. Make sure they are dewormed, if they have long hair, use a laxative from time to time and talk to your vet about trial treatment with medication. If not successful, they need further investigation to find the cause and set specific treatment. Also experiment again with food - the same manufacturer has a range of diets specific for sensitive stomach or allergic cats.

Sorry, as I said, no easy answer.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town