Question
Posted by: Martin | 2003/12/08

Vomiting basset puppy

I have a 7 month old basset puppy who ate some parrafin fire lighters that she got hold of after a braai. She now doesn't want to eat and repeatedly vomits. Anythng I can do as a home remedy ?

The paraffin can cause severe burning of the oesophagus and intestinal tract, to a very dangerous degree. There is no particular home remedy, and if she is not keeping adequate amount of food and fluid down she must definitely be examined and helped by a veterinarian. Also, if she ate firelighters, she may have also eaten whatever else, that could get stuck in the oesophagus or stomach. Again, you will need your vet to help. If she doesn't take adequate amount of fluid and food very soon, she may get very sick.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town