Question
Posted by: Zinhle | 2007/07/11

volunteer my time for any good cause

I would like to volunteer my time and dont know where to start. I would like to work with children and youth or any kind of situation that requires help. Does anybody know organisations that needs people for various volunteer work. I am in Centurion, Pretoria.

I/m sure there are very few organizations which help people that wouldn't welcome a volunteer like you. Hae you tried calling groups like child welfare, childline, etc, and asking them about relevant organizations within reach of you ? And congratulations on your excellent good sense in deciding to become a valued volunteer !

4
Posted by: anon | 2007/07/11

Why not give Lifeline a call in Pretoria and volunteer there.

Reply to anon
Posted by: H25 | 2007/07/11

Oh by the way, I am anxious on CD's forum and H25 here! Yes 2 different names but the same person - someone copied my name on this forum a few months ago so I decided to change it - but I have been on CD's forum for over 7 yrs as anxious so I wont change it there!

Reply to H25
Posted by: Maria | 2007/07/11

I volunteer at my local children's home, it is very fulfilling if sometimes heartbreaking. You can also look at Big Brother, Big Sister: www dot bbbssa dot org dot za

Reply to Maria
Posted by: anxious | 2007/07/11

Congratulations for offering your free time and services! I think that is wonderful. What about a provincial hospital in, say, their paediatric ward, such as JHB Gen hospital? Or any of the orphanages I am sure would welcome your volunteer work with open arms! Try the Johannesburg Children's home eg.

Even if it is only weekend time you are able to offer, valued people would appreciate any help enormously.

If you are willing to consider any areas other than children, I would highly recommend the SA Guide Dog Association for the Blind. I did volunteer work for them a few years ago, and thorougly enjoyed helping them out. At the same time, I learnt how much work is involved in the training of the guide dogs, the training of the trainers and the substantial costs involved in keeping the organisation going, something which many of the public dont realise. They rely totally on fund raising and donations. And the bonus, you get to see the new litters of their puppies (labradors) when they are about 6wks old. They are so adorable!

I got to know about it from an ad in the Sandton chronicle at the time, but they are always looking for volunteers.

Reply to anxious