Question
Posted by: Teacher | 2008/05/21

Voice

I have started working as a teacher for the first time. I have been teaching for 3 months now and find my voice and throat are very sore after a days work of talking. I am concerned that I am damaging my voice box etc. by my work. Is this possible? Is there anything I can do to protect my voice? I don't have a microphone at work so I need to speak loudly for quite a few hours a day and project my voice for the students to hear. I teach at a college. Any suggestions for the long term health of my voice? Many thanks!!

Dear Teacher
The only way you can make a change is to see a speech therapist - they may teach you ways to project your voice with out straining. Otherwise you may need to ask the college to provide you with a microphone.