Question
Posted by: spier bou | 2006/11/10

voedeselvervanger

Hi wat is whey pouder, waarvan is dit gemaak en ek hoor mense wat gereeld oefen drink dit gee dit energie en help om spiere te bou of wat ek sal graag 'n paar kilos in spiere wil opkom eks 15 en 'n meisie wat beveel jy vir my aan ek drink nutren active maar dit help my nie om spiere te bou nie ek gym ook en sal iets wil he om na my gym sessie te kan drink

Whey powder is basically a form of protein, which is sold as a muscle builder supplement. I'm not 100% sure of the importance of 'whey' (as opposed to any other form of protein), that's something to ask dietdoc, perhaps.

But, the idea is that you should increase your protein intake in order to build muscle. I'm not 100% convinced that you need it, especially if you are just starting out training. I would first suggest that you look at your diet, spend the money on seeing a dietician and eating properly, and then train really hard, and if that still doesn't work, then you can consider the supplements. But they are not necessary right now. Especially because you are only 15 - in fact, I would strongly recommend that you do not take these products now - wait until you are at least 18 to try them.

The other point is that as a girl, a protein supplement is not really what you need, unless you are very keen to build muscle. I think that diet is the way to go on this one.