Question
Posted by: MAX | 2003/03/23

VO2MAX?

How does a person work out their VO2MAX. I was told to exercise between 60 - 70% of my VO2MAX. Im 25 (female) and my weight is 54? Is it related to HR at all?

Dear Max

Your VO2 max is a measure of capacity based on oxgen consumption. To measure it you need to complete a bike or running max test while your oxygen consumption is being measured. Heart rate can be used in a max setting to predict ones VO2 max.

If you have been told to work at a percentage of your VO2 Max I would suggest that you work at the same percentage of your heart rate max, which can be calculated by subtracting your age from 220.

Being 25 your Max heart rate would be 195 bt/min. Your required exercise intensity prescribed would mean that - you should be working at a hear rate between 60-70% of this = 117-137 bt/min.