Question
Posted by: Kat kat | 2007/03/13

Vitamins supplement

I am infertile

What vitamins can I and my hubby take and theircontent please!!

Experts only !!

Dear Kat kat

In numerous previous postings I have made the point that vitamin supplementation in general plays very little role in fertility treatment. It is only in cases where there is an absolute vitamin deficiency, due to mal-absorption syndromes or where the diet is specifically lacking certain vitamins, eg strict vegans, then viatmin supplementation will have some added value. Furthermore, there are very few, multi-centric, randomised clinical trials which unambiguously support the use of vitamin supplementation as form of fertility treatment. In some cases viatmin supplemenation may lead to increase in appetite and increase in weiht which may adversely affect fertility outcomes especially in patients with polycystic ovarian disease. It is best to carefully analyse and evaluate the true underlying cause of the fertility problem and to choose the correct treatment options based on concrete clinical data. One should also be extremely cautious with the so-called 'placebo'effects of using medication or supplements.