Question
Posted by: concerned sister | 2003/02/04

Vitamins and depression

My sister and I both have clinical depression,it runs in the family. 1 year ago she met a guy who is a nutrition/vitamin fanactic. He told her she doesn't need her prescription medication,he said she can get the same effect with vitamins. I think vitamins are great and they can help treat mild depression,but not clinical depression. She is been off her medication for 1 year and last week she told me she was thinking of suicide. I told her she needs to get help,but she insists her vitamins will help her. Please help!

Dear Concerned Sister
I fully agree with you - vitamins and mineral supplements can ASSIST with mild, transient depression and to improve the reaction to medication, BUT if your sister suffers from clinical depression then SHE MUST use her medications otherwise she is putting herself in grave danger. She can by all means take vitamin and mineral supplements together with her medication, but she needs those medicines urgently.