Question
Posted by: Lilla | 2007/05/14

Vitamins

Hi Doc, thanks for responding (post 949) and thanks also to Kasandra and Gus for their input. I've checked the Salmon Oil and they are 500mg capsules (why on earth do the directions on the bottle tell me to take 6 if one will suffice?) I still don't know what the B12 + Folic Acid is for and neither do I know why I'm taking Zinc and Copper Complex. I will reduce my dose of salmon oil to one per day and when my Vit C runs out (1000mg), I'll replace with 500mg as per your suggestion. Do I have to take the magnesium? If so, what is it for? I'd like to cut down on all the vitamins and just take what is absolutely necessary. I'd appreciate more direction.

Dear Lilla
As I said before, if you are eating a balanced diet then you probably only require the omega-3 (most SA diets are deficient in omega-3) and some calcium. To explain what these various nutrients are for let's have a look at them and then you can decide if you still need them: vit C - yes because I think you mentioned that you smoke and vit C is a potent antioxidant; vit B12 prevents a type of anaemia (usually people who do not eat meat, fish, eggs, milk products develop megaloblastic anaemia which is treated with vit B12); folic acid is a B vitamin which plays an important role in many metabolic processes and protects us against degenerative diseases like cancer, you could take a dose every second day to compensate for possible deficiencies in the diet; zinc is also important for the correct functioning of many biological processes (it is also found in meat, fish, eggs, cheese, and whole grains, so if you don't eat any of these foods, then take the zinc supplement). Copper is not really necessary as it is widely found in many foods. Magnesium is also a co-enzyme, but it is widely found in foods, so unless you suffer from chronic fatigue, I don't think you need to take it every day.
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2007/05/14

I think my magnesuim _ calsium is essential, it also contains zinc and vit b12, - I would love to hear from dietdoc - i know the zinc and magnesium relaxes me at night and helps me sleep beter. I am also cutting down on my "pills" that I am taking and trying to substitute by eating lots of veggies and fruit during the day. I do find that Vit B complex pills give me one hell of an appetite even if i take it after eating. So at the moment I am taking my flaxseed will switch to salmon soon.

Take my 500mg of vit c, like dietdoc suggested, and also will stick to my mag+cal every night. It also helps me with anxiety and stress.

Reply to Kasandra