Question
Posted by: Liza | 2007/04/12

Vitamins

Why do you say in your article say 'Choose a multi-vitamin, multi-mineral supplement that contains up to 2-3 times the recommended intake" Why should it be double the recommended intake?

Dear Liza
I am not sure which article you are referring to. In the article I wrote on 'Are Vitamin Supplements Fatal? which was published on the DietDoc site on 12 March 2007, I did not say this. The original article published by NICUS did include this instruction, which I found strange and decided to leave out of my own article. I believe that anyone eating a balanced diet who does not have special needs (e.g. recovering from a severe illness, suffering from a specific deficiency, etc), need not take vitamin or mineral supplements, and certainly not every day. I would also not recommend that anyone who does not have specific deficiency needs should use products that contain more than 100% of the RDA for each one of the vitamins or minerals in the supplement.