Question
Posted by: Diron | 2003/02/14

Vitamin supplements

I'm 45 years, eat as healthy as possible, overweight and feeling tired mornings due to Trepiline 50mg for a back problem. I have to take magnesium according to my dr.
I really exercise daily (swimming) and try to keep up my diet plan that I got from you.
I still struggle to loose weight. My gynae did a blood test for any hormone imbalances, still waiting for the results. I'am also easily feeling depressed.
There is such a lot of brands to choose from - what will you prescribe concerning a daily vitamin and mineral intake?

Dear Diron
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to lose weight and feeling so tired and depressed. It could be that you have a hormone imbalance which would account for most of those symptoms, including the weight problem, but it is also always possible that tiredness, and a tendency to depression could be caused by an iron deficiency and resultant anaemia - please ask your gynae to also check your iron levels or more specifically, your serum ferritin levels. As you say, there are many different vitamin and mineral supplements to choose from. I like Centrum or Supradyn Forte (which is good to supplement a lack of iron).
Hope you soon start feeling 100% better.