Question
Posted by: Hair-less | 2004/10/14

vitamin deficiency?

If my cat's hair keeps falling out at an allarming pace, can I do anything about this? Is it possible that she has a vitamin deficiency of some sort? I feed het whiskas & lucky pet - diet maybe? Please help, the poor thing is agrivated

It is unlikely that the diet that your feeding is causing the problem, unless it is specifically allergic to the food. In that case, the skin will usually have scabs and sores as well. The most common reason for hair loss and itchiness in cats remain fleas. Even the presence of a single flea can cause severe itchiness, therefore absolute flea control using the products available from your veterinarian is essential. Other allergies may also be playing a role, in which case medical therapy may prove necessary. Your vet will be able to help distinguish these various causes. In the meantime, daily brushing with a hair removal brush or a hair removal gloves may help to at least decrease the amount of hair that is dropped around the house.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town