Question
Posted by: rudoph | 2004/10/26

vitamin c and smokimg

I was wondering if my husband and i should take 1000mg of vitamin c every day, due to us both smoking.I have been taking 1000mg for a few years now, since i began smoking. Should my husband start taking too.I hopefully plan to fall pregnant soon-what is the story with vit c and fertility?

Dear Rudoph
It would of course be better if you both stopped smoking all together, esp if you are trying to fall pregnant. You can certainly take a high dose of vit C to try and prevent some of the negative health effects of smoking. Vit C does not affect pregnancy per se. But do try and give up for the sake of your own health and that of your baby.
Take care

1
Posted by: Ascorbate | 2004/11/04

1000mg of Vitamin C is not a particularly high dose. You body can only absorb about 1500 mg at a time from the gut, so bigger single doses are a waste.

You should be aiming at at least 3 grams per day. Three doses of 1000mg will do that.

All smokers should be taking supplementary anti-oxidants, especially vitamin C.

See the vitamin c foundation's website. www DOT vitamincfoundation.org

The cynic in me says, sure, smoking is the leading preventable cause of early death, but then, iaterogenic disease (doctor-caused) is the THIRD leading cause of death in the USA, and it's heading for second position.

Reply to Ascorbate