Question
Posted by: Yolanda | 2004/01/16

vitamin b

Thank you for the previous reply. I am using the Vit B complex/B12 injections because I am anemic and always tired. My husband also uses it to keep healthy as he does body building. How much and how often should one inject oneself?

Yolanda, you shouldn’t do it more than once a week. Doing it once or twice a month should be enough. Here is some more info on the B vitamins I cut & pasted from something I wrote a while ago.
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) toxicity
• Extremely large doses of thiamine can be injected without any serious problems (it will all end up in the toilet over the next few days). Prolonged injections of large doses might lead to an allergic reaction.

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) toxicity
• There is no known toxicity of vitamin B2 that I’m aware of (i.e. it will end up even faster in the toilet than vitamin B1)

Niacin (Nicotinic acid) toxicity
• Toxic levels of niacin can cause hot flushes, gastritis, elevated liver enzymes, high blood sugar and gout.

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) toxicity
• Large doses of vitamin B6 can cause a sometimes-irreversible damage to the sensory nerves (problems with sense of position and vibrations in the lower legs). Touch, temperature and pain are less affected. Dosages as low as 200mg/day have been reported to do so in susceptible individuals.

Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) toxicity
• Mega doses of vitamin B12 can be given without any serious side effects (or effects) in normal people.
Let me know it you have more questions. Good luck.