Question
Posted by: angel | 2007/06/05

vitamin A in pregnancy

I am trying to find some information on Recommended Daily Allowances and toxic doses of vitamins, particularly with regard to vitamin A and pregnancy as I believe that this is the only mineral or vitamin which may be toxic in pregnancy at supplemental doses.

For example I need to calculate if 1mg (1mg retinol equivalent) or around 3000 IU of vitamin A daily (in retinol form) in a supplement would or could be toxic or teratogenic, particularly in pregnancy

I was hoping you could provide me with some figures that are recognized in South Africa, or if you could perhaps point me in the right direction as to where I could get this information.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Sincerely

angel

The recommended dietary allowance for vitamin A during pregnancy is 1,000 retinol equivalents (RE)/day, which is equivalent to 3,300 IU as retinol or 5,000 IU of vitamin A obtained from the typical American diet as a combination of retinol and carotenoids, e.g., beta-carotene. An average balanced diet contains approximately 7,000-8,000 IU of vitamin A derived from different sources. Therefore, women who are at risk for becoming pregnant should consider their dietary intake of vitamin A before taking supplements.