Question
Posted by: nini | 2005/11/21

Vit D

I saw in an earlier posting you suggest Vit A and D be taken twice weekly because of being fat soluble. I was wondering, I take a calcium supplement everyday, and it has Vit D in it to help with absorption. Is this going to be too much Vit D for me? can i continue taking it everyday? I feel i need the extra calcium as i dnt have much dairy as it causes mucus and i have been on 3 month treatment of prednisone (60mg) so i feel i need the extra bit of calcium but would not like to overdo the Vit D either?

Pls advise?

Dear Nini
The amount of vitamin D in the calcium supplement will not make a difference and as you need the calcium do continue to take it. Problem arise when individuals who are already eating a balanced diet take supplements that contain 100% of the RDA every day. Seeing that vit A or its precursor beta-carotene, is found in many foods such as pumpkin, butternut, Hubbard squash, broccoli, pawpaw, mango, apricots, meat, full-cream milk and cheese, etc and humans make vit D when their skins are exposed to sunlight, these fat-soluble vitamins tend to get stored in the body (excess intakes are not excreted like the water-soluble B vitamins and vit C) and if the stored levels reach excessive values then esp vit A can cause a condition called hypervitaminosis A. But I presume that your calcium supplement does not contain the full RDA for vit D, so you can take it without having to worry.