Question
Posted by: lb | 2008/05/21

VIT C whilst pregnant and smoking

Good day,

Is it true that a pregnant lady who smokes should take extra Vit C?
My sister smokes about 20 per day and she is 27 weeks pregnant. She says she takes about 2000mg Vit. C every day to assist with the effects of the smoking.

Is she not taking too much and does the Vit. C actually help her?

Thank you.

It has now been shown that high doses of Vitamin C as your sister is taking can actually be harmful to the pregnancy.

6
Posted by: Nix | 2008/05/22

benson and hedges, think it's called Kent now.

Reply to Nix
Posted by: lb | 2008/05/22

Thanx for all the feedback - I will try to get her to smoke lighter ciggs. She currently smokes peter stuyvesant extra mild. What should she smoke? What is this NO1 you are speaking of?

Thank you!!!

Reply to lb
Posted by: xxxx | 2008/05/22

I am also a smoker and pregnant. I however went on the lightest smoke on the market and cut down on my smoking drastically. I have a 4 year old son which is healthy and i had no problems with him. I smoked with him too. But also the lightest sigarettes and cut down on my smoking. I found it very difficult to quit completely and yes felt quilty. Try and convince her to switch over to NO.1. it contains 0.1mg nicotine and is in my eyes a lot "safer" than 0.10 mg nicotine in the "normal" sigarette. I am not saying she must continue smoking but at least it should be a lot less harmful if she can't quit I also had a stillborn baby before and i asked them to test to see if it was my fault for smoking and they tested everything and i didn't even have any nicotine in my blood and everything with the baby was "normal" the placenta was perfect ect. The baby was even bigger for the fetal age when he died. I am not covering my habbit for smoking but i am also saying it's not always smoking that kills your baby. My sister's baby also died and she never ever smoked in her life. She is as healthy as can be and never even had a drop of alcohol ever. She is a health freak so how do you explain the death of her baby? How do you explain her 10 year old with severe astma? Just a thought. And then how do you explain people having healthy babies that smokes dagga and uses drugs? I know a woman that smoked Dagga every day of her life while pregnant and her 4 year old is bigger than my 4 year old and almost never have flu. I am sure everyone has their own opinions about smoking being harmful to your baby and yes i agree to that but instead of "attacking" your sister help her by understanding and propose to her to smoke lighter sigarettes.

Reply to xxxx
Posted by: Dee | 2008/05/22

There really is very little one can say to a person who is unable or unwilling to stop smoking. Stats dont scare them and neither does gruesome pictures.

A lady I knew smoked thru her preg and her baby died when she was 6 months preg due to the placenta hardening (from smoking). Another lady smoked her whole pregnancy and then ended up with a very sick, asmatic baby, always at the doctor. She told me she just wishes she had had the sense to quit for those 9 months.

Your sister will find that her baby will probably be a very miserable baby when its born, always crying, not being able to sleep, which will no doubt add to her stress even more.

My best friend is preg and smokes aswell, it seriously disgusts me. Make her read this if need be.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: lb | 2008/05/21

oh believe me I have tried and tried and tried to get her to stop or at least cut down... she's unwilling or unable to stop claiming she has alot of stress ?(and I know she does, but that's no excuse) - i don't know what else I can say to her... any ideas?

Reply to lb
Posted by: Dee | 2008/05/21

Shes sadly fooling herself, i would be more worried about the effects of smoking 20 a day that 2000mg Vit C.

Reply to Dee