Posted by: MB | 2009/01/11

Visit gynae first?

I have been trying to fall pregnant for over a year, with no success. I have not consulted my gynae yet, as everyone tells you you have to try for at least a year before they will do anything about it, but I now realize it' s time. I think I am ovulating, as I have a fairly regular cycle, but both my husband &  I want to be tested to see what the problem is. Finances are a problem as we are not on medical aid. My question is, should I see my gynae first, or will he just refer me to a fertility specialist? I don' t want to waste time &  money on seeing the gynae first if he' s only going to refer me on, but on the other hand I don' t want to seem like I' m jumping the gun by going straight to Medfem either. ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear MB

I would suggest by doing some practical assessments at home. Simple ovulation monitoring using the ovulation testing kits might be a starting point. You could also have your husband visit a conventional pathology lab to arrange for a sperm analysis. Thirdly you can have your family doctor or GP do a basic gynaecological work-up and refer you to an X-ray department for evaluation of your fallopian tubes by means of an X-ray called HSG (Hysterosalpingogram). Once these tests have been done you could put all the results together and if necessary visit your fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Mandy | 2009/01/13

How long you should wait before seeking advice depends on your age. However you are, in any case, overdue for a Pap Smear and breast exam. All women should have annual gynae exams. I would choose a gynaecologist with a special interest in Fertility issues, such as Dr Antonio Rodriques at Sandton Medi-Clinic or Dr Nicholas Clark, who works at MedFem as well as Sandton Medi-Clinic.

Do a search on the Medi-Clinic website to see what each gynae/obstetrician' s area of special expertise is.

Maybe you should go on holiday before attempting to fall pregnant - many couples have been known to get pregnant that way.

Reply to Mandy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.