Question
Posted by: scared | 2004/10/27

visions

Im always having visions on being hijacked, shot at or another car knocking into me. At home I think someone will shoot at me through the window. I've been hijacked twice - the recent one being October last year. Are these visions/thoughts just a reminder of wha happened?

Yes, these experiences are most likely to be variations of recollections of what DID happen, rather than predictions of what might happen. They can arise on their own after experiences of trauma, or can be part of PTSD, when other symptoms are present. COnsider counselling to help you deal effectively with coming to terms with these two very ugly experiences.

4
Posted by: Susan | 2004/10/27

I agree with Shaun that is is not your fault. My mom always told me that what you fear will come over you. (It stands somewhere in the bible) I have always had the fear of been in an car accident, and about 7 years back we were going to visit my sister and I was really afriad, and guess what happend by brother rolled the car. After that I was scared even more, and then i decided I was wasting my time worring about stuff that could or could'nt happen to me.

I hope you find peace in your hart.

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Natural | 2004/10/27

I don't want to sound silly, but I walked into my sliding door really hard one day and now everytime I walk through it (and I've CHECKED it's open this time) I still have this serious nervous apprehension when walking through.
It was a hard impact, and of course the highjackings have impacted you harder than my silly sliding door.
The point I'm trying to make is that the brain seems to keep the fear experienced - so it's very normal to feel this way, I expect. I was robbed once, and now everytime I walk past someone on the street, I automatically clench.
BUT keep going, don't let the fear overtake your life (look, my comparison is ridiculous to yours, but the point, I hope is helpful). Feel the fear - and keep going anyway, face it and bring it down - not the other way around. You;re now more aware than you;ve possibly ever been of the dangerous society we live in, that can work to your advantage. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And I wish you all the strength in the world as you deal with this, precious one.

Reply to Natural
Posted by: Inc | 2004/10/27

You should seek couselling to help you to deal with and find closure after such a traumatic experience. Being hijacked is not nice... and it's happend to you twice! I think your fears are quite real after all that...

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/27

Hi Scared,

I don't feel you need to add more stress to your life over whether or not you may or may not be hijacked, but it does sound very much like your experiences are still quite vivid in your mind.
With your experiences, I would suggest that you seek professional counselling so you can get to the bottom of this & work thru it...
But I'm am also sure that our Tori & Moose will be too glad to assist with their interpretations of your dreams.

Real sorry about what you went thru, & yes it is difficult, but always remember not to blame yourself.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun