Posted by: Daniel | 2008/06/03

Visectomy Reversal

I had a vasectomy about three years ago. Can it be reversed and if so, must it be in a hospital theatre or can it be at the doctor's rooms? If I only need my sperm, but not a reversal, can it be extracted?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Daniel
Vasectomies can be reversed but this procedure is far more involved than the actual vasectomy itself and will require micro surgical techniques. This is best done in a general anaesthetic theatre and the results for natural conception after reversal are poor. In the vast majority of cases following reversal further assisted reproductive technology is necessary. I would therefore advise that the alternative, which is a testis biopsy or testicular aspiration be considered followed by ART. The latter procedures can be undertaken without general anaesthesia and can be done in the doctors consulting rooms.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Al | 2008/06/06

it can be extracted and it the vasectomy can be reversed. Only problem its very expensive and medical aid dont cover it.

Reply to Al

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.