Posted by: giving up on life | 2009/03/29

Visa test, sunscreen

Thank you for your response:

Sunscreen: Can you recommend a daily use sunscreen (more then 30) that will not leave a shiny, oily shine to my face, . I have used a few none oil base products that are expensive that made my skin really oily and I cant apply it as a daily sunscreen.

Self tan for face: Do you know a safe product that I can use regularly on my face, that will not make pigmentation spots darker acne scars darker then rest of face, leave streaks, cause acne break outs. etc. I am sickly white and can' t go in the sun, ( cant always were base)

Visa test: will this be able to say exactly accuratly with out guessing. why i am getting pigmentation? Due to medication, sun etc?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Giving Up On Life, thank you for the question.

My preference for a SPF is Heliocare SPF 50 which is oil free and does not leave a shine once applied. It is only dispensed through doctor’s rooms and your best option would be to phone the suppliers Genop Healthcare at (011) 545 6600 and ask for the closest doctor to you (unless you are in Cape Town as we do supply Heliocare).

The only way to find a suitable self tan is to try it first on a small area and to watch how the skin responds. Every ones skin responds differently to these products so it is difficult to make a precise recommendation.

The VISIA will only aid the diagnosis as it will highlight the depth of pigmentation and show inflammatory processes. It will not differentiate between sun damage, medication or hormonally induced pigmentation but as a general rule your pigmentation is mostly caused by sun exposure (even with short durations such as getting out of one’s car, walking to the mall, picking up kids, etc.). The aggravating factor is most probably the acne with the underlying inflammation. One would need to treat the acne first so that all inflammatory reactions are reduced to a minimum.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.