Question
Posted by: twinkles | 2007/04/14

virus cause fertility problems

My late daughter had congenital rubella. A year later I fell pregnant and had a misscarriage.
Could the fact that I had rubella and carried my baby for 9 months in my womb with rubella cause me to have had the miscarriage and if so will it happen that I have a miscarriage again? I thought maybe it can cause my immune system to reject a fetus.

Dear Twinkles

Fortunately once rubella has been contracted and antibodies have been produced this confers life long immunity. Hence the chances of repeat rubella infections in subsequent pregnancies are minimised or near zero. Therefore it is unlikely that congenital rubella or that rubella acquired in the previous pregnancy had anything to do with the miscarriage subsequently. Therefore other causes of miscarriages need to be investigated for.