Question
Posted by: sideways | 2006/10/26

Violence and crime

This morning whilst I was sitting in my apartment, just waking up and enjoying breakfast, I heard what i initially thought was fireworks,( as it has recently been Diwali and because of the sheer number of "pops"), I live in Durban by the way, anyway i looked out the window, and amazingly I saw a man(black) running with a gun in hand shooting behind him randomly at a police officer that was chasing and retuning fire. The suspect, was running and just leaning his gun on his shoulder, pointing backwards and shooting randomly. There was traffic everywhere, people on the pavements waiting for buses etc. This guy didn't care, he was simply shooting away from what looked like a new and in prestine condition, 9mm gun. I can't believe what is becoming of this country. It was like a scene from a movie. surreal. I have a Eu passport and the option of moving abroad, I have not thought about it too seriosuly beore as i love SA, but my God, what is becoming of this splendid country? It's the wild west. I've never seen anything like it. In broad daylight, in peak hour traffic, a man running and shooting randomly in the middle of the street.

What is government doing? Where is the communication to the people with a serious plan to curb crime? These criminals seem fearless. They couldn't care less.

2 weeks ago in Jhb an innocent child was killed, well today the exact same thing could have happened. I don't mean to moan, or belittle the country, but what is happening?

There is undoubtedly a very serious problem, and a government that has NEVER taken it seriously or effectively, and has consistently sent the wrong messages to society about what is tolerable, and what you can get away with.

5
Posted by: Addamz | 2006/10/27

WTF? at least I'll feel safe in my own home there ... Norman.

Reply to Addamz
Posted by: F | 2006/10/27

yes go .......go to Iraq.....so very peaceful and safe there

Reply to F
Posted by: Addamz | 2006/10/26

Yeah Kat .. my wife and I are emigrating to NZ next year because of the state of the nation. We are suppose to have our best foot forward in the run-up to 2010 but things are getting worse.

I also heard that Phumzile met with the PM of NZ (Helen Clarke) to increase the qualifiication points so that less South Africans can enter New Zealand. SIlly if you ask me because it'll only mean that the very highly skilled South Africans can emigrate and they are the people that this country needs .... ANyway, run while you can ...

Reply to Addamz
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/26

if i were you i would be on the first plane out of here. if you realy watch the news and read the papers you will see what is going on and its scary. the government is not doing anything because the best way to stay in government is fear tactics. havent you ever heard the thing about controling with fear, that is what is happening here. its sick and there is nothing we can do. ive got an article sent to me from a friend overseas that says our minister of defence said and quote" if you dont like it you can leave the country" the medical proffetionals have no understanding as to the crim in this county coz usually its for reasons like poverty or stuff but here its just coz they can. its scarey shit.

Reply to kat
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/10/26

I agree with you. This country is turning into a nightmare, and every night before I go to sleep I just pray that God will keep my baby safe!! Anything could happen to anyone at any time, and it's scary! Our Government isn't doing anything about it! All we can do is pray!

Reply to Echelle