Question

Vibra Shake for blood circulation

Hi Doc.
I'm not sure if you've heard about the 'vibra shake'? It's one of those Glomail / Verimark contraptions and it specifically focuses on the abdominal area - it's supposed to make you lose weight. It's this belt that you put on (velcro belt) and then it does just as the name says: it shakes

I know there's no quick, easy way to lose weight and keep it off and I really don't know how people still 'fall' for that kind of sales gimmick, but I have bad blood circulation and was wondering: would this be effective to improve blood circulation if used on specific areas (e.g legs, calves, feet etc) on a regular basis?

Dear Anon
I am not 100%convinced that vibration is good for you in the long term. We see in people working with vibrating tools that there are damage to blood vessels, tendons and nerves. See :
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/vibration/vibration_effects.html#_1_4
http://www.springerlink.com/content/l01tw76530023401/

There are scientific papers where they did find that whole body massaging does increase the heart rate and the circulation through the skin, and that it probably helps in athletes' training programmes. However, I think the vibration amplitude is what makes the difference - I don't know much about this, and a biokineticist will probably have the answers you need!

1
Posted by: anon | 2007/12/19

Drink ginger tea to improve blood circulation. Do regular exercise if you are sedentary, go for walks, etc.

Reply to anon