Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2007/04/12

Vets Choice - Kidney Failure

I received the following email. Does anyone know if this is true

I received a copy of a statement from the SAVA and Royal Canin South Africa which states “At the time of writing there have been 19 confirmed cases (in the last few days in Jhb and Cape Town) of dogs presenting with acute renal failure. Although at this stage the cause is not known, it appears that all the dogs were being fed on Vets Choice pet food. In the interests of patients and pending tests being conducted on Vets Choice products, Royal Canin South Africa has suspended all sales of Vets Choice with immediate effect and vets are requested to advise clients to stop feeding Vets Choice products to their pets until further notice. This is a precautionary measure and a further announcement on this issue will be made within the next 24 hours. We will be taking our stock off the shelves today and will be advising people to stop feeding Vets Choice until further notice. People who are feeding Vets Choice at the moment should also keep a close eye on their pets and if they are concerned that their pets are not well they should contact their vet as soon as possible.

Some of the signs that might be seen are

Lethargy/depression
Nausea/ vomiting
Decreased appetite/anorexia
Dehydration
In some cases halitosis (bad breath) or /and ulcers in the mouth

Prompt diagnosis is important in the management of the acute crisis and in ensuring the best chance of recovery. Urine and blood tests are done to make the diagnosis.

Yes it appears as if they are investigating the possibility ofa toxicity recently seen in some other foods. Please withhold Vets Choice and ask your vet forfood made by a different manufacturer. For obvious reasons I cannot advocate specific foods but don't use the Vets Choice until new stock has been manufactured.

6
Posted by: SUN | 2007/04/12

It is true, my Staffies are on Vets Joice as well as a breeder friend of mine and we have changed their diet immediately. Myvet has confirmed tha tthey have taken Vets Choice of their shelves. I have now also heard that Hills Cat Food has a problem. Very bad news!!!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: WR | 2007/04/12

Hi there,

I phoned Vet's Choice myself, and they said that they advising all Vet's not to sell Vet's Choice till further notice, and they are also advising all dog-owners not to give their dogs the Vet's Choice they have, till further notice. They have sent a guy with samples to France for testing.

Reply to WR
Posted by: flower | 2007/04/12

yes this is all true. I have a german shepard who got sick on superwoof and ended up with a medical bill of R4000 and he had to have his spleen removed, (see previous postings) and now he got sick on vets choice yesterday, so yes it is all true. I called my vet and she said the best thing to do is to feed him off the table, it is the safest, she did recommend i buy hills dog food as it is only the hills cat food that has been removed, but when i asked her if it can be guaranteed to be safe she said no. So please be careful, my dog is still sick.

Reply to flower
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/04/12

SA faces pet food shock
12/04/2007 11:41

Quote:
Cape Town - Two big pet food manufacturers are to withdraw of their products from shelves after several animals apparently fell ill after eating the food.

Hill's Pet Nutrition warned cat owners not to use any of its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food, which the company said should be returned for a replacement or a refund.

Source:
www dot news24 dot com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2097608,00.html

Posted by: shaz | 2007/04/12

Please, let us know - this is really scary...
do we buy something else on our way home tonight???

Reply to shaz
Posted by: Lea | 2007/04/12

Can someone please let us know how valid this claim is? I feed my basset and boxer Vets Choice and they love it.

Reply to Lea