Posted by: Jock | 2008/01/26

Vetinary Specialist for hip dysplasia

My Scottie has been diagnosed as hip dysplasia. I would like to consult with a specialist about the possibility of operating. He is 7 years old and otherwise in excellent condition. He limps badly and seems to have significant muscle wasting in hind quarters. He is on Hills R/D, supplements and analgesia as required. However, I want to make his life as pleasant and painfree as possible. Do you know of anyone in the East Rand?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet

There are two specialist practices in Johannesburg - please call the veterinary council in Pretoria and they will be able to provide you with their names and numbers. Surgery may be possible in selected cases.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/26

Pity you're not in the Cape, I could definitely recommend someone here. But, I do suggest you phone Onderstepoort and ask them to recommend someone - what you need is a specialist veterinary surgeon, and they'll have listings of who works near you. Alternatively, you could go directly to Onderstepoort, since they offer treatment facilities too - have a chat to them. You'll find their phone no on their website.

Meantime, the healthier and fitter your dog is before surgery, the better will be his reaction to it - and to combat the muscle atrophy which you mention, you may like to consider aquatherapy - there are people who offer swimming facilities for dogs, and this is excellent exercise for dogs with joint problems because of course swimming isn't weight-bearing exercise. Your vet should know if such a facility exists near you.

Finally, there are some dietary supplements which could have some benefit - there's a thing called Fortiflex, specifically made for dogs, which contains a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin - these are the key ingredients. Some human arthritis supplements which contain the same could be used - compare prices (fortiflex is quite pricey, in my opinion, but it really is excellent), and talk to your vet about dosages. There's also stuff that was recommended by someone on this forum called Flex-o-joint and a 'companion' thing called Flex-C-joint, which are made for horses but can be taken in reduced amounts by dogs - same key ingredients. If you Google those two names you'll find details of suppliers in your area - the ones down here mailed me the stuff, it's way more reasonably priced than the others I mentioned, only the dosage is a bit more finicky because it's a powder.

Best of luck with your dog.

Reply to Chill

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.