Question
Posted by: kelly | 2007/02/26

vet bills

how much will it cost to have x-rays done on my dog for arthritis.
is it expensive. and is arthritis medication expensive and how much does that cost?

Radiographs if done under sedation or anaesthesia can cost between one and two thousand rand and the medication, becaus it is life-long does add up. The pricing will depend on where you are - more expensive in the city and cheaper in rural areas.

2
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/02/27

I have an 11 year old German Shephard who is riddeled with Arthritis. I never had exrays done, as the vet said it was not necessary. Last year she was really batteling, and the vet told us that she would not survive until Christmas. I went onto the internet and researched medications for Arthritis. I found a website called vetsproductsonline dot co dot za. They sell a homeopathic products called Eco-Arth (R 230 for a bottle which lasts me 1,5 months ) which I bought for Alice. It has worked wonders. It is a liquid which I squirt into her mouth twice a day. SHe is running and playing with my other dogs. And enjoyed Christmas !!
At the moment she is on Rimadyl (which I get from the vet) and the Eco-Arth, and she is more energetic than me.
Maybe you can give it a try for your dog and see if it helps !!

Reply to Natasha
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/02/27

This is really something you have to ask your vet. If I recall, x-rays can cost between R600 & R800. I don't think anyone can answer about the cost of medication - it depends on how bad the arthritis is and what medication your vet prescribes and how much the dog needs to take.

Reply to Acineth