Question
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/11/09

Vet Bills

Having seen a number of people on this forum complain about the hundreds of rands they have to spend keeping their pets healthy, I have a suggestion.

Since it is almost Christmas bonus time, it might be a good idea to put some of that away for next year's vet bills. If you only spent 10% less on eating and drinking too much and buying presents that will be discared before the end of the day, you should have a nice sum saved.

There is a pet "medical aid" available that may be worth looking into. About 2 months ago one cyber owner commented on the cost of veterinary bills and I said I would respond as soon as more of you made your comments. I have not seen too many more comments so please do let me know what you think and I will respond next week. To put a sum away each month is like having your own "Pet aid" I guess but unfortunately if an urgent procedure is required it will deplete such funds.

6
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/11

There were several responses to the question of vet bills a few months ago - but nothing from the vet, who promised to reply around the middle of September.

For interest, the original query was posted on 21 August (it had 14 responses) and I followed it up on 30 August, which had 6 responses.

(The query numbering system seems to have changes so the original post numbers have changed - took lots of scrolling back to find the posts!)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lily | 2006/11/10

I had my female dog spayed for R550 and I don't mind paying that since its a once-off op and it will benefit her for the rest of her life.. I also buy Hill's pet food and the smaller sized bags are more expensive in the long run so just buy a big bag of Hill's for about R419 and that will last much longer in the end. It's all about taking responsibiliy for having a pet and giving it the best care possible.. Coz they cant take care of themselves.

Reply to Lily
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/09

There is nothing on earth to stop you discussing fees with your vet - you don't have to give them carte blanche and then end up having to sell your house to pay. Ask, use your common sense, and you'll soon find out if your vet's tariffs are reasonable or if he's trying to finance the purchase of a holiday island in the caribbean!

If money IS an issue, and your pet needs veterinary attention, tell the vet you're not very flush, and if he could either prescrive a generic or recommend a home or over-the-counter remedy. If he can't, he'll say so, and at least you'll have tried.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: SUN | 2006/11/09

I think that it is more expensive to visit the vet than a doctor. My GP's consultation fee is less than my vet's consultation fee. What about medical aid for pets - you pay a monthly fee and then do not feel the impact so much when pet gets sick. My friend has her cat on medical aid. However, if you cannot afford vet's bills rather do not have pets - they deserve only the best - they give us all there unconditional love - free - no prizetag attached!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Jenny | 2006/11/09

Vet bills are a cry of many of us, but i would like to give you a pat on the back for the though given to the ones who read this. We think about ourselves and not enough is given to our 4 legged babies which we LOVE SO MUCH. I know there are many that would give there last slice of bread to the babies but i must agree that reading this forum i wonder sometimes how some poor animals make the next year.

(I would like to add one thing to this submit, some vets charge a price for some services and one does wonder if there should not be a guide +-, through out for cost. eg; Vet does 2 dogs teeth put under at R700.00 some change for both in Bloem and another vet in Durbs changes for one dog R900.00 some change. I know that areas do make a big diffrence but i am sure that it cannot be so much. I had a female that i sensed was not going to give natural birth and the price for and op with no complications was R3500.00 and R4500.00 for problems after hrs. Well i shot up to northern natal, after hours and had an op and baby delivered and had her spayed at R1250.00. Just something think that vet prices are a little over the board.)

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: Mark | 2006/11/09

I agree. We all know life is expensive, and so are pets. Rather leave the pets if you know you wont be able to afford it. They deserve only the best - just as all of us.

Reply to Mark