Question
Posted by: Moemfie | 2004/01/06

Very tired

My GP started me on Cilift on the 5th of December 2003. I have been feeling tired for more than a year now and the last two months it became almost unbearable. It feels like I have to drag myself forward. At the beginning of December I couldn’t handle it anymore since I did not have the energy to do anything. I was sleeping every chance I got during the day and was in bed early at night again. My GP had blood tests done to check for iron deficiency, glucose and thyroid. Nothing wrong there. The reason she thought depression was the cause is because of the following I told her: My dad died of a heart attack in our bathroom on 2002/01/13. It was a terrible ordeal for me and I never sought counselling for it. I tried not to think about it and whenever I would, I cried a whole lot in a short period and tried to put it out of my mind again. Then I got engaged in June 2002 and he was not there. I got married in March 2003 and that bugged and upset me whole lot because he could not be there. My tiredness became worse after the wedding since I was (and still is) very sad about the fact that he couldn’t be there. I miss him a lot, especially around Christmas and New Year time and my tiredness feels worse at certain times. Right before Christmas I felt too tired to do anything and I was in no mood for Christmas shopping where in the past I had it done at the end of November. I also feel distant from people sometimes (like I can’t feel happy or sad and I am very angry and aggressive most of the time) and just want to be by myself. I feel different towards my husband after the wedding, like less romantic. I don’t understand why I feel this why as he has not changed in any way whatsoever. I am considering counselling but don’t know if it is really necessary. The reason for my post now is because I did feel less tired about two weeks or so after starting Cilift. But now as from around New Years day I am feeling drop dead tired again. If it was the Cilift making me feel better before, why am I feeling so much worse again now? Should I see a shrink or a specialist physician? Is my mind wearing me down or could it be that something is wrong with me from the inside? I am seeing my GP on 2004/01/08 again but I would like your opinion before I go the see her. Thanks for you time.

Moemfie, the Cilift® might take up t 6 weeks to work properly, so maybe you should just hang in there for a little longer. You definitely sound depressed, but the question is whether you are tired because you’re depressed, or whether you’re depressed because you are tired all the time. The Cilift® will of course only work in the first scenario and this is why seeing a specialist physician first might be the better option. Good luck.