Question
Posted by: Angela | 2004/01/09

Very sweet rooth

Hi Doc,

I have always been a sport junkie and recently changed my programme. Instead of working out after work in the evenings, I now work out in the mornings from 5:30. But since I have changed my work out time, I crave suger more than ever. I always had a sweet tooth, but it's worse now. I want to eat chocolate every day. Am I just imagining things, or is this a result of the work out? Is it also true that you burn more calories on an empty stomach in the mornings?

Thanks for your help.

Angela

Dear Angela
If you are exercising intensively after an overnight fast of 10 to 12 hours, then your blood sugar levels will be so low that a) you may find that you feel weak and shaky and cannot exercise as well as later in the day, b) you may have cravings all day for food that can compensate for this deprivation. Please get up half an hour earlier and eat a light breakfast (muesli with yoghurt and fruit juice) to boost your blood sugar BEFORE you exercise. Then use an energy drink such as Energade while exercising and eat another light meal during the course of the morning - wholewheat bread with fat-free cottage cheese or fruit and cheese. You may also find if you eat sufficient carbohydrates at all meals that you won't develop chocolate cravings which can be caused by a drop in serotonin levels in the brain associated with carbohydrate deprivation. It is not true that you burn more energy on an empty stomach in the morning - you will just make yourself feel weak all day, so do start eating sensibly before, during and after exercise otherwise you will not be able to do your work during the day.
Take care